Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Mash up

808 iD's goal has always been to merge the two dominant ethnicities in Hawaii, Hawaiian and Japanese, and bring them together as cohesive entities. I've finished one particular piece recently that matches displays that description. My boy Kyle from back in boy scout days wanted an ulua tattoo on his chest with some polynesian designs as well as his mon(family crest) with in it. I was pretty stoked from the get go although I did get a little nervous when I was drawing the design on to his chest and his girlfriend was like "umm can you fix the shape of the head to make it look more ulua like?" If I were a fisherman like Kyle, she'd definitely be a keep!
There is also Justin's back piece that I've been working on for a couple weeks that is another great example of blending ethnic backgrounds. On one side we have the sun from the legends of the demi-god Maui. within the sun we have two halves of the face, one in a polynesian style and the other representative of a kabuki painted face. Next step is to add the imperial sun and the great wave to tie in the kanji.



No comments:

Post a Comment